Saturday 30 January 2021

A NEW CHALLENGE
SHIPPING A FRAMED CANVAS 


I dont know why Im choosing to write  this particular  post in red except that I recently had 👎ROYAL MAIL  👎 lose or at least , fail to deliver, a piece of my artwork  . Refunding the buyer was a bitter pill I can tell you and the buyer was very disapointed too. 

To diverge for a moment , This "😷 you know what "and its ever -recurring lockdown  has been great for us artists . Instagram in particular has become an opportunity to sell work . I have enjoyed making works on paper and posting them off . The  income has been really uplifting in these dull times and the purchasing  collectors etc out there are eager to buy because they love art and they love collecting .

OK so .... I , without giving it any thought , made a framed 20x20 inch framed painting   available for purchase . Really all I want to say in this post is   this 
THINK BEFORE YOU DO IT fellow artists !!! Its not at all the same as popping something into an envelope with some cardboard backing to prevent bending of paper ,as one might with a smallish work on paper ,popping it into a plastic sleeve,  wrapping it in a  plastic bag  and binding it with good old sellotape . 

Suffice to say that the kind of packaging and weighing and measuring requires  big cardboard (unobtainable for me at this time), heavy duty  packaging tape, a scale ,possibly a bathroom one would do  but I I dont have one  although I probably aught to get one  what with the ever expanding girth I note developing ,  and some skill with numbers when it comes to arranging and calculating the payment  to a shipper , in my case I have chosen UPS because there is a drop off point nearby .

The  other mistake I made , was not checking on the shipping cost before posting the painting on instagram , where it got immediate offers . Now I feel daft at having underpriced it . 
Anyway ... I guess Ill cope .I really need the cash  and my solo show has been locked down since March  awaiting a relaunch

The bottom line (literally) is ,  only include the postage in the price if you know what it is . 










No comments:

Post a Comment

all comments welcome ... love to share ...everything and anything